After more than two days of thought leadership discussions during its 30th Anniversary Annual Forum, executive participants of the HealthCare Executive Group (HCEG) voted on and ranked the 2019 HCEG Top 10 critical challenges, issues and opportunities they expect to face in their organizations in the coming year.
Executives from payer, provider and technology partner organizations were presented with a list of more than 25 topics selected by the HCEG Board of Directors and other thought leaders. The list was augmented by the 2018 Industry Pulse Survey. Roundtable discussions hosted during the Forum amongst the more than 100 attendees and invited industry experts allowed the topics to be explored and expounded upon, prior to a digital ranking that culminated in the 2019 HCEG Top 10.
2019 HCEG Top 10 Challenges, Issues and Opportunities
- Data and Analytics:? Leveraging data (especially clinical) to manage health and drive individual, provider and payer decisions.
- Total Consumer Health:? Improving members’ overall medical, social, financial, and environmental well-being.
- Population Health Services: O?perationalizing community-based health strategy, chronic care management, driving clinical integration, and addressing barriers to health such as social determinants.
- Value-based Payments: T?ransitioning to and targeting specific medical conditions to manage cost and improve quality of care.
- The Digital Healthcare Organization:? HSAs, portals, patient literacy, cost transparency, digital payments, CRM, wearables and other patient-generated data, health monitoring, and omni-channel access/distribution.
- Rising Pharmacy Costs:? Implementing strategies to address growth of pharma costs along with benefits to quality of care and total healthcare costs.
- External Market Disruption:? New players like Amazon, Chase, Apple, Walmart, and Google.
- Operational Effectiveness:? Implementing lean quality programs, process efficiency (with new core business models), robotics automation, revenue cycle management, real-time/near-time point of sales transactions, etc.
- Opioid Management:? Developing strategies for identifying and supporting individuals and populations struggling with substance abuse/addiction or at risk of addiction.
- Cybersecurity:? Protecting the privacy and security of consumer information to maintain consumer trust in sharing data.
“Selecting and ranking healthcare issues is always a challenge as we are in a very critical and dynamic stage in healthcare,” said Ferris W. Taylor, executive director of HCEG. “?Everything seems important. Particularly, issue #11 — healthcare policy reform — and issue #12 — precision/personalized medicine?. More than a handful of HCEG members were surprised that these topics did not make the Top 10. HCEG plans to further explore the reasoning through facilitated discussions at upcoming events and within the HCEG digital community. It’s a compliment to the HCEG members that we reached an agreement on these 10 critical and actionable issues.”