Seeking to recognize a healthcare delivery organization that takes an outstanding and innovative approach to health information management (HIM), the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) is calling for applications for the eighth annual Grace Award.
Interested applicants can submit their entries via ahima.org/grace through May 31.
Ninety years ago, Grace Whiting Myers acted on a sincere conviction to improve the quality of our nation’s health records by founding the association now known as AHIMA. The idea was simple–that advancements in the collection and organization of health information will invariably help to improve public health. As a tribute to Myers’ prescient vision, AHIMA’s annual HIM award bears her name: The Grace Award.
Past winners of the Grace Award regularly demonstrated transformative journeys toward new and innovative HIM practices that also delivered better patient outcomes.
“AHIMA is excited to open nominations for an organization that is taking innovative and novel approaches to using HIM to deliver high-quality care to patients,” said AHIMA CEO Wylecia Wiggs Harris, PhD, CAE. “This process furthers an industry dialogue about innovation and excellence and invites us to learn from each other.”
The 2019 award will be presented at AHIMA’s Health Data and Information Conference in Chicago, September 14-18.
A committee of judges, representing healthcare delivery organizations, health information professionals and HIM associations, selects the Grace Award. This year’s judges are:
- (CHAIR) Sandra Pearson, RHIA, CHDA, MHA, CPEHR, CDI & Data Governance Director, SCL Health
- Shelly Asbury, CCS, CCS-P, Director, Physician Coding Compliance, JSA Healthcare
- Kenneth Clyburn, RHIA, CHPS, Health Information Services Director, Beaufort Memorial Hospital
- Elizabeth Curtis, RHIA, CHPS, FAHIMA, Administrative Director, Medical Information Management, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
- Rebecca Endicott, RHIA, CCS, Coder
- Kyle McElroy, RHIA, MS, Corporate Associate Vice President of HIM Operations, IASIS Healthcare
- Indra Osi, RHIA, CHP, Enterprise Director Facility Coding and Reimbursement, Cleveland Clinic
- Cindy Zak, MS, PMP, FAHIMA, Executive Director, Corporate Business Services, Yale New Haven Health
AHIMA Grace Award Alumni:
- Yale New Haven Health (2018)
- SCL Health (2017)
- The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center (2016)
- Allina Health of Minneapolis (2015)
- Children’s Medical Center of Dallas (2014)
- Truman Medical Centers (2013)
- University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinic (2012)